Winter is coming, and the question about effective and not expensive heating becomes more and more actual for each of us. Are you looking for your ideal home heater that will not rise up your bills for communal services dramatically? In this article we will review and compare several types of modern heating devices and will try to provide all necessary information for correct choice.
These devices are traditionally used by the most of house owners. They are portable, safe and easy to use even by children. They can be divided for several main categories:
- Fan heaters (metal, plastic or ceramic convectors) blow with hot air, heated buy spiral or ceramic element. They can be found in any tool shop and are able to raise up the temperature in standard living room very quickly. But the effect will not stay long when the heater will be switched off. In addition to that – fan heaters produce noise, that can be very irritating.
For example, a PTC ceramic block has low power consumption but high power. Thanks to these technical characteristics, the heater transfers heat to an area of up to 40 m2.
2. Infrared Heaters. These devices are cheap and light weight. In addition to that – they don’t dry air as much as blowers and oil heaters. The problem with them – the heating elements are opened, so the device can be dangerous for small children or domestic animals.
- Oil heaters. They are heavier, as they have metal sections filled with special technical oil. This liquid, heated by electricy, can save the temperature for longer time – so your room will stay warm at least 3-4 hours after the device will be deactivated.
Modern heaters have a strong case that protects against burns, a convenient temperature control system, and stable supports for installation on the floor in any corner of the room. The built-in thermostat automatically turns off the device when the desired temperature is reached, so the safety of the latest generation of electric heaters is at the highest level.
Gas heaters are an economical alternative to electric appliances
The main advantage of gas heaters is that they work quietly, have compact dimensions, and are suitable for use in any room. Meanwhile, the flame burner adds a special atmosphere and coziness.
Features of gas heaters:
· High power, thanks to which the heater is able to make apartments in any area warm;
· Heat-resistant materials and a convenient one-button ignition system guarantee high safety in the process of using the device;
· The device has wheels, so it is easy to move it to any corner of the room;
· A shut-off tilt valve automatically shuts off the heater if it tips over.
By the way, gas heaters are suitable not only for use inside the house. You can also take it out to the terrace and enjoy autumn or winter evenings in a cozy atmosphere.
How to choose the best heater?
Firstly, focus on the area of the room to choose a device with sufficient power. As a rule, 2 kW of power is enough to make a room up to 40 m2 warm and comfortable. Accordingly, when the room is small, you can give preference to a less powerful and more economical device. So, the main rule: the larger the room, the higher the power should be. Some online calculators help you choose an electric or gas heater based on the specific parameters of the room. If you have certain doubts, use this calculator.
Such nuances as ceiling height, window area, availability of adjacent rooms, and climate are also important in the selection process. There are also such factors as the floor, the presence of insulation in the apartments, and the methods of the main heating of the room. For example, it is difficult to make a room in a detached house or on the first floor warm enough. At the same time, a room surrounded by adjacent walls and located on the 3rd or 4th floor will be warmer, so you can consider heaters of lower power.
Some tips that will help you save
· Use the heater only when necessary. Turn off the appliance when you leave the house or when it gets warm enough.
· Heat only the rooms where you actually are. It is not always advisable to heat the whole house.
· If you have a ceiling fan, run it at low speed. This will distribute the heat evenly throughout the room without creating a downdraft.
These are very simple and obvious tips. However, they are really effective and efficient.